- Credibly Accused Clergy
- Canonical Reviews
June 20, 2019
The Archdiocese of Detroit recently received an allegation against Rev. Joseph (Jack) H. Baker involving sexual abuse of a minor. The allegation dates back to the earlier years of his ministry.
This allegation immediately was reported to the Office of the Michigan Attorney General. The Archdiocese of Detroit now has been informed by the Attorney General’s Office that it should proceed with the appropriate actions prescribed by Canon (or Church) Law. Effective June 19, in accord with the norms of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, also known as the Dallas Charter, Father Baker, 57, has been restricted from all public ministry pending the outcome of the canonical process.
While restricted from ministry, Father Baker is prohibited from representing himself as a priest, wearing clerical attire or exercising any form of Church ministry. Like any cleric restricted from ministry in the Archdiocese of Detroit, he is monitored to ensure compliance with Church restrictions.
Auxiliary Bishop of Detroit Gerard Battersby has been named temporary administrator of St. Perpetua Parish in Waterford Township, where Father Baker was assigned as pastor.
Individuals with knowledge of sexual abuse by clergy or other Church representatives are urged to contact local law enforcement and/or the Michigan Attorney General’s Office at (844) 324-3374 or email@example.com. Individuals also may contact the Archdiocese of Detroit by visiting protect.aod.org, calling the toll-free, 24/7 victim assistance line at (866) 343-8055 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. There are no time limits or restrictions on individuals wishing to report abuse.
- Education: Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI; Sacred Heart Major Seminary, Detroit, MI
- Ordained: 1993
- 1993-1996: Associate Pastor, St. Hugo of the Hills Parish, Bloomfield Hills
- 1996-1997: Associate Pastor, Sacred Heart Parish, Dearborn
- 1996-1997: Campus Minister, Wayne State Medical School Campus Ministry, Detroit
- 1997-2008: Pastor, St. Mary Parish, Wayne
- 2003-2004: Administrator, Ss. Kevin and Norbert Parish, Inkster
- 2003-2008: Administrator, Holy Family Parish, Inkster
- 2011: Administrator, St. Benedict Parish, Waterford
- 2008-present: Pastor, St. Perpetua Parish, Waterford